GFAS accreditation and verification are generally in place for a period of three years. An organization will be given a new three-year certification upon completion of a renewal assessment. Through this process, we confirm that the sanctuary or rescue center is continuing to meet GFAS Standards.
All Accredited and Verified organizations will be notified of upcoming renewal within three months of their due date. At that time, we will ask that the organization complete an updated Overview Form (Form A) and Census (Form B). GFAS will also request submission of certain documents, which will include the below list:
Groups Applying for Re-Verification:
- List of current Board of Directors/Trustees
- Confirmation of current General Liability Insurance coverage (unless not available in country)
- Updated lease agreement if applicable
- Updated MOU with government authorities as applicable
- Budget for the current year
- Most recent documents filed to maintain non-profit status, if applicable (e.g., IRS Form 990 and state charity registration in the United States)
- Permits for the current year, as applicable
- Confirmation of a financial reserve/explanation of status of reserve
- Any updated animal care SOPs
- Any updated safety protocols (e.g., disaster, escape, first aid)
We will also ask you to advise us of any other significant changes over the last three years (e.g., change in veterinary staff, addition of new enclosure, addition of new visitor program, significant increase/decrease in animal population), as well as progress made on any post-certification goals that were listed in the letter sent by GFAS for the most recent verification or accreditation.
Groups Applying for Re-Accreditation:
All documents required for re-verification plus:
- Confirmation of current of Directors and Officers insurance coverage (unless not available in country)
- Copy of any changes to by-laws
- Most recent financial statements (statement of activities and statement of financial position)
- Updated strategic plan
- Updated long-term financial plan
GFAS will also ask for any documents that are currently on the required document list for Verification or Accreditation, and which may not have been required at the time of the organization’s previous review.
After review of this information, GFAS may request further documents and updates, as needed.
GFAS staff will determine the need for a site visit based on current policy (available on request).