Every day, the world over, wild and domestic animals are abandoned, displaced, or injured by humans and natural causes. The sole purpose of The Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS) is to ensure that these animals receive the highest standards of care during rescue, rehabilitation, and the rest of their life.
We are the only globally recognized organization for certifying that a facility meets the GFAS Standards of Excellence and recognizes those as a true “sanctuary.” As such, facilities around the world, large and small, come to GFAS for guidance and support in achieving and maintaining GFAS-accredited status.
A world in which true sanctuary is given to animals in need.
To accredit and recognize sanctuaries and rescue centers, support them to achieve the highest Standards of Excellence, promote collaboration, and raise awareness of their work.
- Animals should be free from exploitation.
- The physical, behavioral and social needs of animals should be met.
- Any animal in need should have access to true sanctuary.
- Raising and ensuring standards of high-quality animal care places the welfare of each individual animal as the highest priority.
- Promoting the sustainability of sanctuaries is integral to protecting the animals who depend on the success of these organizations.
- Differentiating the work of true sanctuaries through enhanced public awareness and recognition is essential in directing support where it will be used most effectively.
- Respect and appreciation for differences